||April 1, 2022
Mitsui Sumitomo Marine Management U.S.A., Inc. is one of the world’s top ten property/casualty insurance carriers with over 40,000 employees worldwide.
The Tax Manager will be responsible for the insourcing of the organization’s federal, state, local and premium tax returns. This includes building out processes to make sure all filings are completed accurately and timely, and liaising with the Company’s U.S. affiliates to ensure all required documentation and filings are completed. While managing a department of three staff members, the Tax Manager will be responsible for reviewing the quarterly tax provision and maintaining effective internal controls over the tax department functions. In addition, the Tax Manager will be responsible for developing tax planning strategies, updating the transfer pricing analysis and research as well as provide recommendations to management on various tax related matters.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned. (Identify what percentage of time will be spent on the essential functions)
- Ensure accurate, timely filing of consolidated federal, state and local income tax returns and other business related filings.
- Facilitate the insourcing of the Company’s federal, state and local tax returns previously performed by third party accounting firm.
- Manage third party premium tax vendor and tax team to ensure all premium tax returns, premium tax payments and estimated payments are completed timely.
- Monitor legislative and regulatory tax law developments, communicate the effects of these developments to management and the tax team and create strategies to capitalize on changes to taxation legislation.
- Oversee the preparation and filing of the sales and use tax, personal property tax returns and federal excise tax returns across various jurisdictions and coordinate related remittance payments.
- Develop and implement strategic tax planning for all necessary federal and state taxes.
- Plan for and develop overall return calendar and coordinate timing and inputs with tax team.
- Manage the preparation and review of the Company’s 1099 filings, including payments processed by third party vendor.
- Ensure all income and premium tax information is adequately prepared and presented within regulatory filings, including financial statement disclosures.
- Manage and review quarterly and annual tax provision preparation on a STAT, GAAP and IFRS basis.
- Review assumptions used and calculation of tax liability for all corporate entities on a consolidated and standalone basis.
- Ensure strong internal control environment around documentation and implementation of accounting policies.
- Assist in the planning and budgeting process by providing assumptions and estimated tax amounts for the Company’s annual budget.
- Manage and mentor members of the tax team as they prepare components of the company’s US federal, state and local income tax returns and other tax documents.
- Liaise with affiliates in an effort to insource and provide tax services throughout the US group, where agreed.
- Find and implement opportunities for process improvements in company tax procedures.
- Maintain effective control procedures over all aspects of the tax process.
- Liaise with internal and external auditors and provide support for special tax related projects.
Must supervise, train and mentor the Senior and Staff Tax Accountants in their tax compliance and reporting responsibilities. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and correcting employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting required; MS in Taxation is a plus
- Experience working in the insurance industry
- CPA preferred
- 5-7 years of experience as a tax manager or public accounting role and at least 2 years of experienced in a management role.
- Strong knowledge of tax regulations, compliance and procedures for corporations.
- Familiarity with U.S. federal, state and local reporting requirements.
- Strong accounting, analytical and research skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience with a variety of tax operations and ability to drive process improvements.
- Strong project management skills and the ability to prioritize tasks and the tasks of other tax team members.
- Ability to work well independently as well as the ability to work well with stakeholders and communicate the benefits of tax initiatives.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
If you would like to apply for this position please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Company is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.